Millions of female pilgrims travel every year for the holy rituals of hajj and umrah pilgrimage. Traveling through Ramadan umrah packages 2023, they arrive in Makkah and observe the pilgrimage. Among the many requisites of Hajj and Umrah, pilgrim (whether male or female) has to assume the state of Ihram as a priority. Without Ihram no one can observe the holy pilgrimage; it’s the first and most essential ritual of either of the pilgrimage.
Though Ihram's rules are similar for both men and women, some differences also lie. So here’s a brief description of Ihram clothing tips for female pilgrims.
What type of clothes can be worn as Ihram?
- Contrary to men, women can wear stitched clothes for their Ihram needs. In addition, there's also not the necessity of a specific dress code for female pilgrims; they can wear anything they desire provided that it remains modest and simple i.e. as per Islamic teachings.
- Furthermore, there’s not a restriction of color when it comes to women’s Ihram clothes – any color can be worn. Yet in order to blend with other fellow pilgrims, many women prefer wearing either white or black.
- In order to avoid any confusion in the rules of Ihram clothes, many female pilgrims opt for wearing an ‘Abaya’ out of caution.
Face and Hand coverings are prohibited.
In the state of Ihram, it’s not permissible for female pilgrims to cover their faces (wearing a veil) and cover their hands (wearing gloves). The rule remains evident from the Hadith of our Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad (SAWW).
Therefore, female pilgrims must avoid wearing any sort of niqab, gloves or any other piece of clothing that covers their face or hands during the holy rituals.
The fabric of Ihram clothes.
- The city of Makah has a hot, desert climate. Choosing a cotton-blended or mixed fabric for your Ihram clothing may seem the best option because it would help avoid skin rashes and sunburns. Yet, at the same time, the fabric is quite airy as well.
- It’s advisable to wear light colors because they help in resisting the effects of heat.
- Though wearing a thin fabric is preferable considering the weather conditions, one must ensure that such a fabric shouldn’t reveal any part of the body under bright sunlight. That’s why undergarments worn should also be of the same color as your Ihram clothes.
Covering your head is necessary.
For female pilgrims, their heads must remain covered at all times during the holy rituals. It’s advised wearing a Hijab with an under-scarf cap as it is quite easy to wear and manage. Especially if you don’t know much about wearing a Hijab, you should learn and practice the basics of wearing it before your departure for hajj or umrah.
Wearing Jewelry; permissible or not?
Women are allowed to wear ornaments and jewelry even in the state of Ihram. It has been narrated that Umm-al-Mu'minin Hazrat Ayesha (RA) didn’t use to consider anything wrong with a Muhrimah (female pilgrim) wearing jewelry in Ihram.
These are some of the fundamental ihram clothing for women.